Before we start the topic “How to find the roots of a problem, let’s understand the meaning of the concept with the example:
During my college days, I faced hatred from my own friend that shattered me. As it was an unexpected move from her. The next day, I decided to talk to her about the incident. After a few days, she yelled at me, and I was unaware of what had happened. All day, I was in an illusion that why is she doing that?
I wanted to find out the reason, so I reached out to some familiar friends to find out the cause. Furthermore, I found that someone created a misunderstanding, to which she reacted. Slowly I reached the person and cleared things between us.
Save your time. Learn this in as little as 1 minute.
We’ve got 500+ bite-sized content to help you learn the smarter way.Download the app
After the example, it would be easier to understand the matter properly. To curtail the problem from its roots, go in-depth and find out the causes.
It is not dominant enough to only visualise the problems and their causes at a peak point. Like a reporter digging the news from a small hole to form a news article, the same digging down to identify the root cause is mandatory despite the difficulties that come in the way. Identifying the root cause is very important for organisations working to improve constantly.
The very first step is to conduct a Root cause analysis (RCA).
Who will help to go through this haunted process? KoolStories- A micro learning platform is here to help their lovely audience.
Further down, you’ll see the detailed explanation and come across “how you can start applying this approach” to search for the reasons behind the problem you may be facing.
Root Cause Analysis
The root cause analysis (RCA) refers to tracking down the roots of the problems or you can say the exact reasons to rectify the problems. According to the RCA approach, one must systematically block and resolve the underlying issues rather than diagnose the symptoms repeatedly.
Root cause analysis can be put into effect through some methodologies, which we will discuss in detail. It will be leveraged to find the root causes of an issue.
Why is RCT used to solve problems?
There are the benefits which RCT gives while solving problems. Firstly, RCT concentrates on finding the root cause of a problem. Secondly, to understand the few major vital points, such as; How? What are the Solutions? Any lessons learnt from the ongoing conflict for the future? The third point consists of evaluating what we discovered from this analysis and assembling it systematically to keep these issues at bay.
Want success? Then do implement the third goal very carefully.
Source- Root Cause Analysis Explained: Definition, Examples, and Methods
Methods to find out the problem
Within Organisation- Ways that can be opted to reach the problems within the organization are:
- · Personal communication- To make it more pleasing, you can have a personal discussion at the office or a public place.
- · Team meeting- Members of the board can set up a meeting to find the cause of the problem.
- · Official mail- A leader or person with a problem can address the issue through email.
External Factors- The word “External” includes the customers, shareholders, and investors.
- Through surveys, Q/A sessions, forms, comments and most prominent live sessions promote the discovery of the problem.
- All the data gets stored, which further is able to be read in detail.
- Email marketing- For Example- An email pop up from BYJU’s application- Any queries? Email us or comment with your problems because we are here to resolve your doubts.
- All these tactics are applied on Google, YouTube, and social media platforms.
- Communicate with parents or loved ones.
- Write a message if you are hesitant or scared of any terrific incident or anything that makes you stressed.
- Record a video or audio and show your parents or any family member.
- Problem-solving methods are listed above but how to implement them is still a mystery.
To solve the mystery, read more to get all the answers.
How to perform Root Cause Analysis?
To implement the Root Cause Analysis, follow the steps that are listed below.
Here are the steps of the Root Cause Analysis:
1. Statement of Problem: Here, a problem solver needs to find the exact problem.
- Problem evolved.
- Who are facing these problems?
- Stress on 2 factors HOW and WHY something happened.
When a person understands this fundamental question and finds the substantial cause effects, only he/she will be able to reach the next step. You must have heard from your parents; do not rush or you will fall. Follow this message everywhere.
Found the problem? Now thinking about what to do next?
2. In-Depth analysis: Now go in-depth to research where they are facing the problem and particularly which section of people are facing it. To know about the reasons, research will help you out with some solutions.
- Data collection- Communicate with them. Listen to their problems carefully and try to pen down the important details. Do not miss any point at any chance as the problem will occur over and over.
- Cross-check- After the communication cross-check the details if they match or if anything that’s still a mystery.
For Example- In an organisation, a detailed report about an organisation is published every year which is reviewed by the editor, Chief-editor, and board members mainly to cross-check the facts and figures before the publication.
3. Communication: Data collected. Now address the reasons for the problems.
4. Find out the problem: Happy upon finding the problem. Nevertheless, you are just a step closer to the endpoint; the rest of the fight is pending. Try to reach the problem and analyze the entire situation logically.
5. Team discussion: Team discussion is critical while solving a problem, whether it’s personal or professional.
- In personal matters involve your parents or a family member who will show you the right path.
- At the workplace, try to include the senior person who knows about the organization and can assist you in this journey.
Example- You find out the problem and brainstorm ideas in your mind. To elevate the confusion team works skillfully.
6. RCA Tools- Always remember the impact and consequences of the effort you will prioritize. So to workably, use the various models or tools to understand it better and analyze the performance.
- Try it at various places to know the variation of the results.
- Do not prioritize the reasons for problems.
- Use your brain more than the heart.
7. Find out the solution: Using all the tactics you get the solution in your hands.
Umm... Now, what problem is solved? No! It would be best if you saw how you would execute the solution. So let’s, execute the plan.
8. Implementation: Though the long research finally worked, you are a step closer to the results. Implement the solutions to the affected areas to see if it works.
- For example, when clashes erupt, a team works to find the cause and resolve the matter. They found that two colleagues were engaged in violence due to the workload. So the senior leader divided the work and told them to check from now.
- When a problem is aligned with customer needs then you need to fulfil their requirement for the company’s brand image and to build trust.
The process above defines how Root Cause problem-solving blends into the operational excellence culture at a simplistic level. The application may differ depending on the criticality of the problem.
Typically, all face problems, but they limit themselves to addressing the primary and usual reasons behind the overruled problems, which leads to the execution of superficial solutions. Also, we face the problem over and over.
So, this was all about problem-solving. I hope you will love the blog and will surely take steps from this while resolving the main grounds of the problem.
To know more about Problem-solving, visit our website to upskill your knowledge.